If you’ve witnessed or been the victim of crime, it’s natural to feel a little overwhelmed. But help and support is available to get you back on your feet and guide you through the investigation process.

Here, you'll find the guidelines we follow to make sure we’re offering the best possible care, and where you can turn for further support.

What to expect as a victim or witness

Criminal justice agencies in England and Wales abide by the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime. This is a set of guidelines designed to make sure victims of crime are given the best advice and support from the moment they report a crime to the sentencing of an offender.

Victims can expect to be:

  • treated in a respectful, sensitive and professional manner without discrimination of any kind
  • given appropriate support to cope and recover
  • protected from being victimised again
  • shown how to access information and support in future

A victim’s details remain confidential. Their address and other personal information is never made available to suspects or offenders.

We support Restorative Justice, a victim-focused approach that helps empower victims and communities.

Witnesses of crime are protected in a similar way due to a set of standards called the Witness Charter.

To find out more about how witnesses and victims of crime will be treated and other services available to them, visit the UK government’s website.

Going to court

As a witness or victim of a crime, you may be asked to give evidence in court.

We can make sure you get plenty of help and advice in the run-up to and on the day itself.

We’ll introduce you to a member of the Witness Care Unit, a team within Hampshire Constabulary.

This person will be your single point of contact throughout. They'll:

  • answer any questions you might have
  • give you all the information you need
  • make sure you’re fully prepared

They can arrange a court visit before the day so you can familiarise yourself with the layout of the courtroom.

On the day, they may be able to make sure you arrive through a different entrance to the offender and wait in a separate area depending on the circumstances of the case.

If you’re feeling vulnerable or intimidated by the offender, or if a child or young person is giving evidence, the court may be able to provide a range of special measures, such as:

  • giving evidence from behind a screen or via a video link from another room
  • trained professionals, called intermediaries, who are there to help explain things
  • for some locations it might be possible to be able to wait in a different area or come into court via a different door to avoid seeing the offender or people attending court on their behalf

To find out more about going to court as a victim or witness, visit the Crown Prosecution Service. And there's information for witnesses at Citizens Advice.

For those attending court in Scotland, the above services are provided by the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service. For more information visit the Scottish Government's website or the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.

Local and national support

Victim Support

Victim Support is a national charity dedicated to helping anyone affected by crime to cope with and recover from their experience. It offers services not only to victims and witnesses, but also to their friends and family.

If it doesn't have an office in your area, it can point you to local help.

It also runs My Support Space, a free, safe, secure and confidential space where you can choose how you want to be supported. Register for My Support Space - it's quick and easy.

Support if you've had a road traffic collision

Support is available for all those involved in a road traffic collision, whether or not anyone’s injured.

We understand that the time after a crash is a very traumatic experience for all involved and everyone will react differently. Some people may need little or no help, while others will need emotional and practical support to cope.

Together with the charity Victim Support we can offer support to victims and witnesses of collisions.

At a collision, we give you a copy of the Victim Support help guide (if you’ve been a collision victim or witness and don’t have your booklet, you can download it below).

The guide encourages those involved in a collision to:

  • talk through what happened to help clarify the events and make sense of what happened
  • drive again, as soon as possible
  • accept what has happened and learn from it
  • use coping techniques to deal with the impact

Victim Support referral

If you or somebody involved in a collision are struggling to cope we can refer you to Victim Support for more help.

To get your referral, please contact the officer who was at the collision (or who is your contact for any investigation).

Further advice and support

Samaritans – trained operators available 24 hours a day.

Brake – the road safety charity.

Citizens Advice – free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.


Hampshire and Isle of Wight Witness Care Units

Hampshire Constabulary’s witness care officers provide advice and support for victims and witnesses throughout a prosecution case.


Northern Police Investigation Centre
Jays Close
Viables Business Park
RG22 4BS

Phone the Witness Care Unit: 0238 047 8287


Southampton Central Police Station
Southern Road
SO15 1AN

Phone the Witness Care Unit: 0238 047 8185


Eastern Police Investigation Centre
Airport Service Road

Phone the Witness Care Unit: 0238 047 8154


[email protected] for all Crown Court cases

[email protected] for all Magistrates cases

Satisfaction survey

We're asking people who have been a victim of crime to complete a short satisfaction survey. If selected, you'll be sent a text from mobile 07447 107 934 (+44 7447 107 934) or an email from [email protected] with a link to the survey to complete online. The survey is managed by GovMetric on our behalf. We will never ask you for any personal information, completing the survey is voluntary and you can ‘opt out’ at any time.