1. What to expect as a victim or witness of a crime
2. What happens after you report a crime?
3. Victims' Right to Review scheme
4. Giving a witness or victim statement
5. Going to court
6. What happens after the trial?
7. Victim and witness support organisations

Victim Support

A national charity dedicated to helping anyone affected by crime to cope with and recover from their experience. It offers services not only to victims and witnesses, but also to their friends and family.

If it doesn't have an office in your area, it can point you to local help.

It also runs My Support Space, a free, safe, secure and confidential space where you can choose how you want to be supported. Register for My Support Space - it's quick and easy.

Citizens Advice Witness Service

A national charity and network of local charities offering confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free.

If you’re a witness at a criminal court in England or Wales, you can get free and independent support from the Citizens Advice Witness Service. It doesn’t matter who you’re a witness for, you can still get help.

Victim and witness information

A website that helps victims and witnesses of crime in England and Wales. It has information on what happens after reporting a crime, the people you might meet, the support you should get and how to complain if something goes wrong.

Support if you've had a road traffic collision

Support is available for all those involved in a road traffic collision, whether or not anyone’s injured.

We understand that the time after a crash is a very traumatic experience for all involved and everyone will react differently. Some people may need little or no help, while others will need emotional and practical support to cope.

Together with the charity Victim Support we can offer support to victims and witnesses of collisions.

At a collision, we give you a copy of the Victim Support help guide (if you’ve been a collision victim or witness and don’t have your booklet, you can download it below).

The guide encourages those involved in a collision to:

  • talk through what happened to help clarify the events and make sense of what happened
  • drive again, as soon as possible
  • accept what has happened and learn from it
  • use coping techniques to deal with the impact

Victim Support referral

If you or somebody involved in a collision are struggling to cope we can refer you to Victim Support for more help.

To get your referral, please contact the officer who was at the collision (or who is your contact for any investigation).

Further advice and support

Samaritans – trained operators available 24 hours a day.

Brake – the road safety charity.


Hampshire and Isle of Wight Witness Care Units

Hampshire Constabulary’s witness care officers provide advice and support for victims and witnesses throughout a prosecution case.


Northern Police Investigation Centre
Jays Close
Viables Business Park
RG22 4BS

Phone the Witness Care Unit: 0238 047 8287


Southampton Central Police Station
Southern Road
SO15 1AN

Phone the Witness Care Unit: 0238 047 8185


Eastern Police Investigation Centre
Airport Service Road

Phone the Witness Care Unit: 0238 047 8154


[email protected] for all Crown Court cases

[email protected] for all Magistrates cases

Satisfaction survey

We're asking people who have been a victim of crime to complete a short satisfaction survey. If selected, you'll be sent a text from mobile 07447 107 934 (+44 7447 107 934) or an email from [email protected] with a link to the survey to complete online. The survey is managed by GovMetric on our behalf. We will never ask you for any personal information, completing the survey is voluntary and you can ‘opt out’ at any time.