Hampshire Constabulary 2021 Union Facilities Time Reporting
The Trade Union Act 2016 introduced new annual Trade Union Facilities Time reporting requirements for public sector organisations. This provision came into force in April 2016. Public Sector employers with at least one ‘relevant union official’ are required to publish information on facility time. The provisions provide a new prescriptive framework for data publication of trade union duties and activities, which is included in Schedule 2 of The Trade Union (Facility Time Publication Requirements) Regulations 2017.
This report covers 1st April 2020 to 31st March 2021. This report is being published in line with guidance by 31st July.
What is facilities time?
TU representatives may undertake facilities time duties or activities. They will be undertaking:
- a DUTY when they undertake work on behalf of their union during their normal contractual hours and for which they are paid directly by the organisation to do that work. Seconded representatives will always be undertaking Duties.
- an ACTIVITY when they undertake work on behalf of their union during their normal contractual hours, for which you have approved paid time off in order to do that work.
Facilities time includes:
• Travel time within contractual hours
• Travel time outside of contractual hours if you approve time off in lieu in respect of that time
• Facilities time undertaken on non-working days where you approve time off in lieu or allow a swap of working days
The figures for Hampshire Constabulary for the period 1st April 2020 – 31st March 2021 are as follows and are published in line with Schedule 2 of the Trade Union (Facility Time Publication Requirements) Regulations 2017. These figures will be published annually in line with these Regulations.
Number of employees who were relevant union officials during the relevant period
Full-time equivalent employee number
Percentage of time
Number of employees
Provide the total cost of facility time
Provide the total pay bill*
Provide the percentage of the total pay bill spent on facility time
*This is the total wage bill of Police Staff only. This figure does not include Police Officers as they are out of scope of the Regulations.
Time spent on paid trade union activities as a percentage of total paid facility time hours calculated as: 7.77%