Quickly exit this site by pressing the Escape key
Leave this site
Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
This site is a beta, which means it's a work in progress and we'll be adding more to it over the next few weeks. Your feedback helps us make things better, so please let us know what you think.
Back to Report
Back to Tell us about
Back to Apply or register
Back to Request
Back to Thanks and complaints
Officers from Andover’s Neighbourhood Policing Team will be out in force to deter shoplifters in the run-up to Christmas.
Operation Scrooge will see officers liaise with retailers, give advice to shoppers and carry out high-visibility patrols in Andover town centre and its retail parks.
The campaign is due to finish on Monday 31 December.
PCSO Lee Thubron said: “As Christmas approaches, more and more people will be out and about in our town’s shops and banks.
“Although we should all be following the social distancing guidelines, we must still be on our guard to deter shoplifters and organised crime groups.
“Andover is a safe place to live and work, but it is not immune to people who wish to take advantage of shoppers and businesses at this time of year.
“The aim of our operation is to deter criminals and detect crime, and ultimately provide reassurance to the public and businesses.
“We will continue to use tactics that have proved successful in previous years to make sure those who commit crime in the town centre are dealt with robustly.”
We would like to take this opportunity to remind people of the steps they can take to protect their property.
For shoppers, remember to:
• Never leave a bag unattended in a trolley, even if for a couple of seconds
• Make sure your handbag is closed
• Try to keep wallets in an inside pocket and out of sight from a potential pickpockets
• Keep your PIN number confidential
• Try to pay for items on a debit card rather than carry large amounts of cash, if possible
• Ensure all windows and doors are closed and locked before leaving your car.
• Ensure high value stock is stored in a secure location – preferably in a locked area
• Keep high value or desirable items close to staff when displayed on the shop floor
• Log any suspicious activity
• Be alert when taking deliveries, especially with high value stock
• When placing additional stock out for Christmas, make sure it doesn’t block the view for your CCTV cameras
• Ensure all private areas are locked, and the public do not have access.
For more advice on thefts from a person, visit: https://www.hampshire.police.uk/cp/crime-prevention/theft-from-a-person/
More useful tips for businesses can be found here:
Is there a problem with this page?