Man jailed for 20 years after being convicted of non-recent child sex offences in Hedge End
Main article content
A 68-year-old man from Cwmmawr, Tumble, Llanelli in Wales has been jailed for a total of 20 years after being found guilty, and subsequently convicted, of committing a string of serious child sex offences.
Stephen David Bron of Cwmmawr, Tumble, Llanelli in Wales was previously found guilty by a jury at Southampton Crown Court in November.
He was found guilty of one count of rape of a female under 16, one count of attempted rape of a female under 16 and six counts of sexual assault of a child under 16.
The court heard how the 68-year-old had sexually abused two children on multiple occasions over a 5-year period between August 1990 and December 1995 in the Hedge End areas.
One of the victims in her impact statement - which was read out in court – said that the abuse she faced ‘has been a constant shadow hanging over me’, recalling that she still experiences flashbacks nearly 30 years after the abuse.
The victim statement went on to say that ‘she felt like her body wasn’t her own anymore’ and that she can ‘only image what a different person I would have become if I had not had those experiences of abuse in my childhood’.
Stephen David Bron was sentenced on Friday 16 December at Southampton Crown Court to a total of 20 years in prison, eight years for attempted rape and indecent assault and five years for five further counts of indecent assault.
These will run concurrently with one another.
In addition, Bron was made the subject of an indefinite a sexual harm prevention order – as well as an indefinite restraining order to not contact either victim.
Detective Sergeant Claire Grant, from Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary’s Western Investigation team, said: “Firstly, I must place on record the incredible bravery of both victims in coming forward and reporting the abuse committed by Stephen David Bron in the first instance.
“The trauma that they faced at the hands of Bron is something that they will undoubtedly have to live with for the rest of their lives – which is harrowing for them and their families – but their courageous actions have ultimately played a key role in us securing justice for them with today’s sentence.
“Their innocence was taken away from them at a very early age – and the lasting impacts on his victims are clear to see – but a very dangerous man is now behind bars.
“We hope that this sentencing can provide the victims with a sense of closure and comfort that he can no longer harm them.
“We want to show you that no matter the circumstances, Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary are committed to supporting survivors of rape and serious sexual offences and we will do everything we can to identify offenders and put them in front of a court.
“If you’ve been a victim, please report rape or sexual assault as soon as possible. Even if you’re not 100 per cent sure, we’d sooner hear from you so that we can make sure you’re safe.”
Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary have a dedicated team set up to investigate serious sexual assaults and rapes against children. We continue to invest in this area of work to reduce violence against children, identify perpetrators and get justice for victims.
If you’re not ready to talk to the police just yet, that’s OK.