Advice to motorists issued following thefts from vehicles in Southsea
Main article content
We are issuing crime prevention advice following a number of thefts from vehicles, as well as an incident of vehicle theft and a moped theft in Southsea.
In the early hours of Friday 11 December, between 2.20am and 2.30am, a car was broken into at an address on Gloucester View. Nothing was taken.
On Friday 11 December, some time between 4.45pm and 9.45pm, a vehicle and an electric scooter were taken from an address on Sussex Terrace. The vehicle was later returned to the driveway having received minor damage.
On Saturday 12 December between 7.10pm and 7.20pm, two men were interrupted breaking into a car on Pains Road. A small amount of cash was stolen.
Between 9pm on Saturday 12 December and midnight on Sunday 13 December, a locked car was broken into outside of an address on Fraser Road.
A radio and a number of work tools and chemicals were taken.
On Sunday 13 December at 2.15pm, a moped was taken from the driveway of an address on Belmont Street. The moped has since been recovered with minor damage.
Enquiries are ongoing.
We would like motorists to consider taking the following steps to protect their vehicles:
- Keep your car fob/key in a signal blocking pouch and store it as far away from the front door as possible at night, to prevent it being scanned by thieves
- Always lock your vehicle
- Many modern vehicles are fitted with engine management diagnostic ports, which can unlock and start your vehicle. If your vehicle has this type of port, consider fitting a lockable cover.
- Avoid parking in dark, secluded areas. It’s worth an extra five or ten minute walk if it means your vehicle is left in a well-lit and busier street.
- Double check your electric locking – manually check that the doors are locked before walking away
- Consider the use of CCTV, security lighting and a house alarm
- Consider using a Thatcham-approved car alarm system, with tracking, immobilisation, anti-grab and movement sensors
For more advice, click on the following link: https://www.hampshire.police.uk/cp/crime-prevention/theft-of-a-vehicle/vehicle-attracting-thieves/