Crime prevention advice issued after campervan and war medals stolen in Hayling Island burglary
Main article content
We are appealing for information after a campervan and war medals were stolen during a burglary at a house on Hayling Island.
The property on South Road was broken into sometime between 10.45pm on Friday, July 19, and 00.30am the next day.
The intruder(s) forced their way in at the back of the address while the occupants were asleep in bed.
They stole the keys to two vehicles parked on the driveway, and used them to take one of them, a white 2018 model VW Transporter T30 H-LN campervan.
The vehicle left Hayling Island shortly afterwards. The van with registration number HJ18 OHP is customised with distinctive bright blue cabinets inside.
Also stolen from the address were:
- World War I medals which had been passed down to the victim from his grandfathers and which hold significant sentimental value. The medals were mounted onto dark wooden frames with a grey background. Each frame contained two medals and the original envelopes they were sent in. The ribbons of the medals were multi-coloured.
- A gold-coloured pocket watch in a glass display mount, with an unusual chain from the 1800s, which again had sentimental value to the victim.
- Wallets containing bank cards, driving licence and some cash.
Officers investigating the incident would like to hear from anyone with information, who may have seen what happened, saw the campervan being driven off the island, or who has any further information about the stolen items.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Police Staff Investigator Catherine Cole on 101 quoting crime reference number 44190253707.
Crime prevention advice
- Put all car keys and other keys out of sight and not in reach of windows and letterboxes. It doesn’t take much for the keys to be hooked through the letterbox.
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
- Do not leave ladders and garden tools in your garden; lock them away in your shed.
- Have an intruder alarm system installed by an approved contractor. Ensure a visible alarm box is attached to the outside of your home. Consider fitting security lighting.
- To better protect your home from burglary, follow our three-step protect advice: protect your valuables, safeguard your building and secure your outside. Read more here: https://www.hampshire.police.uk/cp/crime-prevention/residential-burglary/