Witness appeal following attempted burglary in Yateley
Main article content
We are appealing for anyone who has information about an attempted burglary that happened in Yateley earlier this week.
It took place at around 12pm on Tuesday (19 May) at an address on Handford Lane.
The residents were indoors when they heard noise and went to investigate. An unknown man was found trying to force entry through a downstairs window.
It is believed the offender ran from the address either toward Mistletoe Close, or Oak Close. The person is described as being a white man, wearing a light coloured hooded top.
We are appealing for information to help in the identification of the offender.
Were you in the area at the time? Did you see anything suspicious?
If so, please call us on 101 and quote the reference number 44200177209. Alternatively, you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
We would also like to take this opportunity to remind you of our crime prevention advice around burglaries:
- Shut all windows and lock them when you are not using the room, at night and when you leave your property.
- Lock all front and rear doors at night and when you are out. If you have a UPVC door with a multi-point lock ensure you lift the handle and lock it with the key. Remove the key after the door or window is locked.
- Put all car keys and other keys out of sight and not in reach of windows and letterboxes. It doesn't take much for the keys to be hooked through the letterbox.
- Leave a light on so your home looks occupied if you are going out for the evening. If you head out while it is still daylight and won't be back till after dark then timer switches (available from most DIY stores) can be useful for turning your lights, radios and other appliances on at a set time before you get back.
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
- Do not leave ladders and garden tools in your garden; lock them away in your shed.
More advice can be found on our website: