Advice tool

I'd like to seek compensation for something the police have done

Thank you. Please write to:

Office of the Force Solicitor
Police and Fire Headquarters
Hampshire Constabulary
Leigh Road
SO50 9SJ

Please be sure to include the following information:

  • your full name and contact details (including postal address and phone number)
  • your police case or report number (if applicable)
  • the name or shoulder number of any officer, staff or volunteer involved
  • your reasons for claiming compensation and the amount (even if only estimated) claimed


We will reply with a claim reference number and the name, telephone number and email address of the person dealing with your claim. From that point, please correspond with the person handling the claim, always remembering to quote your reference number.

We will investigate any genuine claim and are able to solve most claims without needing to start legal proceedings. Indeed, the courts expect both parties to attempt to resolve disputes without bringing proceedings. Some requests for compensation may need to be submitted in a certain way; if that's the case then we will let you know when we reply and give you the information you need at that point.

This is why we ask claimants to give full details of the basis of their claim and to allow us a reasonable time to investigate and negotiate before commencing proceedings. If you do decide to commence proceedings, please note that the correct name for service of all proceedings upon the Hampshire Constabulary is ‘The Chief Constable of Hampshire Constabulary’.

The Office of the Force Solicitor is authorised to accept service of all civil proceedings, including judicial review, third party disclosure and other civil claims, on behalf of Hampshire Constabulary. All proceedings should therefore be sent to the address above.

Please note, Hampshire Constabulary do not manage claims against the Police and Crime Commissioner. To do that please go here.