Find out how you can help stop it and more on the ASB Community Trigger.

If anti-social behaviour is affecting your quality of life, or making you fear for your safety or the safety of others, there are people who can help. You can contact the police, your local council Community Safety Department or, if relevant, your housing provider.

These partner agencies have a role to play in reducing anti-social behaviour, supporting the most vulnerable and dealing with the people responsible.

Anti-social behaviour is an incident that falls short of a crime, where the behaviour of an individual or group causes or is likely to cause:

  • harassment, alarm or distress to any person, not of the same household
  • another party feeling personally threatened
  • creates a public nuisance or detrimental impact upon the environment
  • has a detrimental effect upon the quality of life of an individual or the community as a whole

You can apply for the Community Trigger on behalf of someone else, but you must provide their written consent alongside the application form.


It is important to keep records of when and what behaviour is happening. Don't be afraid to tell one of the partner agencies about it and to ask for support when you need it. To help you and others:

You can also attend a community meeting to discuss the behaviour, impact and solutions for your neighbourhood.

Anti-social behaviour Community Trigger

The Community Trigger empowers repeat victims of anti-social behaviour to ask for a review of the actions partner agencies have taken to resolve their concerns. To be eligible, you need to:

  • have experienced three incidents as an individual in the last six months

Each of the incidents need to have been reported within one month of them taking place and you must apply for community trigger within six months of the latest incident. The victim can be a business, individual or a community group.


How to use the Community Trigger

In Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, we are the first point of call for initial contact from a victim or representative wanting to use the community trigger. To do so, call us on 101. If eligible and the case is not subject to an active investigation, a review will be undertaken by the partner agencies.