Police are appealing for witnesses following an attempted burglary near Alresford.
The incident took place between 5.15pm on Saturday, August 18 and midnight on Tuesday, August 21 at a house in Parkside Lane, Ropley.
PC Emma Purser from Winchester police station said: "The house was broken into while the occupants were on holiday but it is possible that the thief was disturbed and therefore left empty handed.
"Anyone with information about this incident should contact the police. I am particularly keen to hear from anyone in the Ropley area who may have had an unusual caller recently or noticed anything suspicious in the area.
"I'd also like to remind people of the simple steps they can take while on holiday to help protect their homes.
- Make your home look lived in: Use automatic timer switches to turn your lights or radio on.
- Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries.
- Cut the lawn before you go.
- Ask a friend or relative to collect your mail, park on your driveway, open and close curtains and water the garden.
- Store valuable items or documents in a safe or leave them with someone you trust.
- Make sure you have locked all windows and doors, and if you have an alarm, use it.
- Make sure your valuable items such as laptops and games consoles are not on view from the outside."